Monday, October 3, 2011

A Walking Tour of Nashville

This month will go down as the month of field trips for sure.

Phew

As I watch my oldest preparing for ACT's and college, I am more and more determined to savor the time I have with Maggie and Aidan.

And I want them to enjoy this time of just having fun learning before they get to the serious stuff as well.

This week we met up with a few families in our Tutorial and headed downtown for a walking tour of Nashville with I'll Take Tennessee walking tours.

I cannot recommend this tour enough! And if you decide to take it, you MUST request Marilyn. This lady made the tour. She is so knowledgeable and so passionate about what she knows. No rehearsed tour lines from this lady. She can tell you the history of this city and Tennessee in general the same way I would sit and tell you about the birth of one of my children. It comes from a place deep within her and it is both moving and contagious.

003

Affectionately referred to by the locals as "The Batman Building"

Makes the Nashville skyline unmistakable.

Did I mention I love this city?

006

The Cumberland River...She looks so peaceful and forgiving here. What a difference a year makes.

015

Fort Nashboro.

012

Marilyn told the story of the first families to settle here in Nashville. She told of the tremendous adversity they faced and of the unwavering courage and fierce determination they had. And after last year's flood, I can see that not much has changed about Nashvillians.

014

Why was this area so appealing to them? A natural salt lick right on the river.

018

We sat on the lawns of the Capitol building and listened to the story of the integrity and character of a 21 year old named Sam Davis. I cried. Even Marilyn herself got emotional telling this one.

I am ashamed to say that I've lived here almost my entire life and I never knew this story. State History is so important and yet we sometimes know the least about the very place we call home. Yikes...Not sure what I was learning in school.

021

Another statue on the Capitol lawn...Andrew Jackson. Mr. "Trail of Tears" himself. It was only when my kids were Junior Docents at his home last year that I really knew that much about President Jackson. He was, to say the least, a character.

His home, The Hermitage is a must see if you live in Tennessee or should you ever find yourself in the area.

We will be heading there tomorrow for Junior Docent Day once again. :-)

022

Finally we ended our tour at the {third} burial site for President James K. Polk.
The only president to make only 4 promises for his presidency and keep them all.

Imagine that.

Did you know that at the age of 17 he developed gall stones? He was taken to a surgeon in KY. and they removed his gall bladder...with no anesthesia!! They gave him whiskey {as if butchering him wasn't enough, now he can bleed to death too} and a group of large men held him down. I've had this surgery...and whiskey would not have been enough even after the surgery. Poor man.

009

The only thing better than fascinating stories about history?

Sharing them with your best friend.



**Every bit of what was shared in this post, I learned on this tour. I could go on and on retelling the stories we heard. They were not only fascinating but extremely educational. Tyler and another Sophomore joined us for this one and even they loved it and learned so much. So I highly recommend this one for all ages.**

Hip Homeschool Hop Button

The Homeschool Post Field Trippin'



"My every mortal breath, is Grace and nothing less"

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

E-Mealz Makes My Life Easier

SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH E-MEALZ MEAL PLANS

Compassion

Sponsor a child online through Compassion's Christian child sponsorship ministry. Search for a child by age, gender, country, birthday, special needs and more.

Get Half off and Free Shipping!

The Inspired Room

inspired room

The Nester

Melissa

Lindsey

Poppy

Sweet Shot Tuesdays with Darcy

Sweet Shot Day

Lisa Leonard Designs...I have one..do you?

Lisa

Homeschool Village

My funny Canadian friend

Come on over to Bungalow'56!

Edie

lifeingrace

Ruthanne {snort}

Emily

chatting at the sky

Search My Blog

Sometimes it's ok to be a follower

grab a button!

Mosaic of Grace

Follow Me on Instagram

Follow Me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Top Christian Women on Pinterest

Popular Posts

My tweets

Grow Old With Me....The Best Is Yet To Come

Grow Old With Me....The Best Is Yet To Come

The Tenderness of God.....

The Tenderness of God.....

Tyler

Tyler

Maggie

Maggie

Aidan

Aidan