Wednesday, June 9, 2010

School's Out For Summer

Photobucket

This week I am participating in The Homeschool Village Blog Fair. If you have not heard of this wonderful Homeschool community here in the blogosphere, then allow me to introduce you.

This week's topic:

What do you - homeschool mom - do to get refreshed for the next school year?

This question used to be hard to answer...simply because I had no idea how to relax. Sure I said I would take a break. We put away the curriculum. I stopped quizzing multiplication facts and state capitals.

But in all my spare time I was either selling last years books on ebay or scouring for the best deals on the curriculum we would need in the Fall. Or I was allowing myself to be consumed with guilt over what we didn't accomplish or complete.

Next thing I knew, summer was gone. And it was time to start it all over again. So much precious time.

Gone.

This year we listened to Todd Wilson speak at our Curriculum Fair and it was like God himself cupped my face in his hands and whispered peace into my soul.

"Take a summer vacation!!!! Do not even think about school for a substantial set aside amount of time this summer. No looking back with regret over what you didn't finish. No researching curriculum for the upcoming year. And for goodness sake...do NOT make your kids write reports about everything fun they do. You need a break from thinking like a teacher and your kids need you to JUST BE THEIR MOM!"

If Todd's words weren't enough to free me up, my husband looked at me and said "this is what I want you to do this summer" When God speaks, He speaks loud. And it's sometimes overwhelming...in a good way of course.

I'm telling you...the choir of angels were singing folks.

And I'm quite sure Todd just earned himself a sweet reward in Heaven for speaking that kind of truth and peace into the hearts of OCD/Perfectionist Homeschool moms like myself. I'm thinking it may be a sweet new RV.

So let's pose the question one more time.

What do you - homeschool mom - do to get refreshed for the next school year?

This is easy.

I'm going to put the enemy under my feet when fear/worry/doubt/perfectionism/control start to creep in.

And enjoy the precious view from their level as simply "mom".


06 04 10_1143

"So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today. Matthew 6:34



Be sure to visit Layton Family Joy to see how other moms are getting their "relax" on this summer.



"My every mortal breath, is Grace and nothing less"

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

E-Mealz Makes My Life Easier

SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH E-MEALZ MEAL PLANS

Compassion

Sponsor a child online through Compassion's Christian child sponsorship ministry. Search for a child by age, gender, country, birthday, special needs and more.

Get Half off and Free Shipping!

The Inspired Room

inspired room

The Nester

Melissa

Lindsey

Poppy

Sweet Shot Tuesdays with Darcy

Sweet Shot Day

Lisa Leonard Designs...I have one..do you?

Lisa

Homeschool Village

My funny Canadian friend

Come on over to Bungalow'56!

Edie

lifeingrace

Ruthanne {snort}

Emily

chatting at the sky

Search My Blog

Sometimes it's ok to be a follower

grab a button!

Mosaic of Grace

Follow Me on Instagram

Follow Me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Top Christian Women on Pinterest

Popular Posts

My tweets

Grow Old With Me....The Best Is Yet To Come

Grow Old With Me....The Best Is Yet To Come

The Tenderness of God.....

The Tenderness of God.....

Tyler

Tyler

Maggie

Maggie

Aidan

Aidan